WHAT IS A RASH GUARD?
A rash guard is a tight-fitting athletic top made out of spandex and polyester or nylon designed to protect your skin from the harsh damaging sun. It guards the user from irritating abrasions often seen from rubbing against the ocean habitat while scuba diving or snorkeling. Jellyfish are very common marine wildlife and many times, you have no idea you are right next to one.
Rash guards can also keep you warm when deep beneath the ocean. I personally freeze when scuba diving, even if it’s 100 degrees outside. Deep ocean water gets quite chilly.
Surfers are typically seen wearing rash guard swimwear to protect their arms from the friction caused from their arms rubbing against a surfboard and causing a rash.
It can be worn under a wet suit, over a bathing suit, or by itself with a pair of swimsuit bottoms.
Rash guard swimwear comes in all kinds of styles, sizes, thickness, and fabric. It depends on what the user will be doing to determine which kind is needed.
TIGHT OR LOOSE FITTING?
If you will be scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing or swimming, a tight-fitting rash guard is ideal. It’s best to wear something tighter so nothing snags when you’re underwater and gets in your way.
When sun protection is the leading cause to protect your skin from the sun and if you’ll be relaxing all day, a looser fit will probably make you more comfortable. Be sure it is UPF50 sun protection.
LONG SLEEVE OR SHORT?
Choosing a long sleeve or short sleeve will depend on the climate you live in and what activity you will be engaging in. Long-sleeved rash guards with UPF50 will protect you all day from the sun but if you will be very active, it could get a little warm. Look for a rash guard with a high collar around the neck to protect your neck, back, and chest from the sun.
If you will be in and out of the water a lot, a long sleeve is great because the water will cool you off and keep you warm at the same time.
It is very important to buy a rash guard that is UPF 50. They are made of a stretchy spandex to provide added comfort and polyester or nylon to enhance breathe ability. Look for a rash guard with elastane too for quick drying.
Pay attention to the seam if you will be performing active water sports, especially surfing. Look for a flat lock seam to minimize chaffing.
WOMEN RASH GUARD SWIMWEAR
4.6 out of 5 stars 14 customer reviews
- UPF 50+ Sun protection fabric blocks more than 98% of UVB and UVA rays
- 82% Polyester & 18% Lycra Patchwork seams promoting non-friction
- Long sleeve with zipper in front making it easy to remove when wet
- Super soft second skin anti-chlorine stretchy fabric that dries super fast
- Perfect for diving, surfing, wake boarding, snorkeling, paddle boarding, and water yoga
4.7 out of 5 stars 96 customer reviews
- UPF 50 protection with a quick dry fabric
- Stretchy anti-chlorine fabric that sheds water
- Features a seamless flat lock with breathable construction for chafe-free comfort
- Perfect for Snorkeling, Diving, Surfing, Kayaking, Golfing, Yoga, Shopping, & Paddle Boarding
4.6 out of 5 stars 8 customer reviews
- UPF 50 Sun Protection
- Long sleeve rash guard with raglan design and zipper front
- Slimming and sporty with splicing sides to enhance your curves
- No chaffing with the flat lock seam
- Elastic, soft, and quick drying – 82% Nylon and 18% Spandex
4.6 out of 5 stars 6 customer review
- UPF 50 Sun Protection and made of 82% Nylon and 18% Spandex
- Long sleeve rash guard women with a zipper in front for easy removal
- Stretchy 4-way fabric, quick drying, and 4-way stretchy fabric
- Slimming effect and sporty
- Perfect for surfing, swimming, snorkeling, diving, hanging out in the sun, or can be worn as a sun shirt or swimsuit cover up. riding or running under the sun
4.5 out of 5 stars 147 customer reviews
- Nylon rash guard swimwear
- 100% Polyester lining, 82% Nylon, and 18% Spandex
- UPF 50 sun protection
- Elastic mesh top with stretchy quick-drying fabric
- Raglan sleeves to allow full range of motion
- UPF 50 Sun Protection fabric made of 82% Nylon and 18% Spandex
- Long sleeve rash guard made of raglan with pull on closure
- Soft material that dries quickly
- Flat lock lightweight seams with stretchy fabric, nice and smooth
RASH GUARD MEN
4.2 out of 5 stars 1,268
- 6oz spandex and polyester comfort construction
- UPF 50+ Skin Cancer Foundation Recommended
- Minimal Seam for ultimate rash guard protection
- Performance tight fit feels like second skin
- Perfect For swimming surfing, boating, paddle sports, & beach days
4.5 out of 5 stars 55 customer
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- 80% Nylon, 20% Spandex
- Stretch two-way fabric to stabilize muscles to prevent energy loss
- Suitable for athletic & recreational outdoor activities and water sports such as surfing, swimming, boarding, hiking etc.
- Temperature balance performance from breathable fabric
- Two-way stretch fabric stabilizes muscle with compression to prevent fatigue and energy loss
4.2 out of 5 stars 140 customer
- UPF 50 Sun Protection
- 87% Polyester and 3% Spandex
- Machine Washable
- Fits comfortably
4.8 out of 5 stars 8 customer reviews
- UPF 50+ Sun protection
- Flatlock seams promoting no friction
- Ultra-soft, 90% Nylon and +10% Lycra 4-way stretch
- Quick drying and feels like second skin
- Perfect for diving, surfing, snorkeling, paddle boarding, wake boarding, fishing, and yachting
4.7 out of 5 stars 270 customer
- 50+SPF/UPF sun protection material made of Polyester 88% and Polyester
- high density durable fabric that protects against abrasions and rashes
- Moisture Sensing/Quick time Dry/TWO-WAY Air Circulation.
- 4-Way stretch with water shedding capabilities
- Perfect for surfing and all water sports
4.1 out of 5 stars 437
- UPF 50+ Ultraviolet Protection
- 6oz Polyester & Spandex with 4-Way Stretch
- Recommended by Skin Cancer Foundation
- Perfect For Surfing, Swimming, Paddle Sports, Boating, And Beach Days
- Seam is minimal to promote maximum protection from rash
- Form-Fitting tightness to fit like second skin
4.3 out of 5 stars 246 customer reviews
- 100% Polyester, quick drying and lightweight
- UV50+ protective fabric
- Relaxed fit
- More body coverage for greater sun protection
4.1 out of 5 stars 58 customer reviews
- 80% Nylon & 20% Spandex
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- Suitable for outdoor activities, water sports, surfing, boarding, diving, swimming, hiking etc.
- Stretch 2-way fabric that stabilizes the muscles to prevent energy loss
- Fabric breathes to balance temperature while eliminating moisture