We all look forward to bringing our favorite four-legged buddy to the beach. What a great way to spend a summer day and enjoy some special time with our pooch. But dogs and the beach can be dangerous without special preparation.
Taking special precautions for your furry friend is a must to protect them from hazards that can occur at the beach. A great way to think about this is anything that can harm you, can harm your pet: sunburn, dehydration, rip tides, sharp objects, hot sand, and jellyfish.
Survival Tips and Precautions for your Dog
Why Can’t Dogs Drink Salt Water?
Pooches get very thirsty at the beach. They are out in the sun playing Frisbee, fetching a ball, and running around with their ears flapping in the sea breeze. They get thirsty and the ocean is one giant water bowl to them.
Saltwater can make a dog very sick and be life-threatening. It is full of salt which causes dehydration. Too much saltwater causes gastric upset, hence diarrhea. If your buddy laps up too much salt, it can cause salt toxicity which is very dangerous.
Bring a large bowl and provide plenty of fresh water all day! Make sure the water is out of the sun so it doesn’t get too hot.
Can Dogs Get a Sunburn?
Just like us, dogs can get a sunburn too, especially those with lighter fur. Purchase a pet-friendly sunscreen and apply it to your pet’s nose, ear tips, inner legs, abdomen, and anywhere else that will receive direct sun.
Pet-friendly sunscreens are non-oily and contain products safe for dogs. They should not use any sunscreen that contains zinc or a fragrance. Zinc is toxic if ingested.
Can Dogs Get Heat Stroke?
Surprisingly, heat stroke is one of the most common and dangerous threats to dogs at the beach. A dog can have heat stroke in as little as 15 minutes and is life-threatening. Keep a keen eye on your dog and offer lots of water and provide shade and a towel or blanket to lay on.
Symptoms Heat Exhaustion Dogs
- Excessive drooling and panting
- Dry gums and nose
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Vomit and/or diarrhea
- Loss of Coordination
- Falling Over, Off-balance, Collapse
The average adult dog’s body water is 60% of his or her total body weight. A small loss of 5% will produce visible dehydration symptoms. If a dog loses 12-15% of its body water, it will go into shock and possible death.
If your pooch experiences any of these symptoms it is important to get them out of the heat immediately and get veterinarian attention.
Can All Dogs Swim?
Most dogs can swim but there are those that have not mastered the talent. If a dog seems timid or scared to get in the water, chances are they may not be a good swimmer.
Monitor your dog closely if they swim in the water. Beaches have strong currents and rip tides that can pull a dog underwater. Dog’s can suffer what is known as dry drowning several hours to days later if they get too much water in their lungs.
For anyone taking their canine on a boat, a life jacket is highly recommended for pooch safety!
Red Tide Side Effects
Now and then there is a Red Tide Warning. This tide carries in blue-green algae that can harm your pet. Contact with these algae causes skin irritation and if ingested, it can cause digestive issues, liver failure, and possible death. Keep Fido home when these Red Tide Warnings happen.
Paw Protection Dogs
The area you choose to park for the day should be carefully examined for items that can hurt your pet’s paws. People leave all kinds of items lying around: glass bottles, sharp objects, seashells, hot sand, beer caps, rocks, etc. Rinse your dogs feet and inspect them after your day at the beach.
First Aid Kit
A First Aid Kit is essential for your pet as well as yourself in case of accidental cuts or jellyfish stings. Be sure the kit has peroxide, ammonia, cotton balls, and bandages.
Plan for your dog and beach day and have the well-deserved fun day both of you deserve!
Meet Max and Neo
Max and Neo Dog Gear is owned and operated by Kenric Hwang and named after Max (left) and Neo (right). Kenric is the proud owner of Neo and Kenric’s brother owns Max. After Neo passed away, Kenric was unable to get another dog because of all the traveling he was doing so he decided to foster dogs from a local shelter. From this, he realized how expensive and time consuming it is to run a dog rescue and wanted to help.
Kenric donated money and items to the shelter every month but felt it wasn’t enough. He decided to find a way to help this issue that would provide products to the rescue each month. A way that the donor and the rescue would benefit. This is how Max and Neo was born!
When you purchase a Max and Neo product, you get a high quality product for a great price AND you help dog rescues.
For every product purchased the exact same product is donated to a dog rescue shelter.
They now donate to over 1000 dog rescues across the US.
“We Donate a Leash to a Dog Rescue for Every Leash Sold”
- Tough, Heavy Duty, Durable, Comfortable and Affordable
- 1″ wide and made of 2mm thick but soft heavy duty nylon webbing designed to handle the largest dog breeds
- LIFETIME WARRANTY EVEN IF CHEWED BY YOUR DOG
“We Donate a Blanket to a Dog Rescue for Every Blanket Sold”
- Small (28″x48″) and Large (50’x58″) sizes
- One side soft & thick with 350 gsm fleece
- Other side is 100% waterproof, no need to worry if there is an accident
“We Donate a Collar to a Dog Rescue for Every Collar Sold”
- Small – Neck Size 10″-14″ / Medium – Neck Size 14″-18″ / Large – Neck Size 18″-22″
- 1″ wide (3/4″ small size) and made 2mm thick nylon
- heavy duty buckle with metal eyelets in each hole for reinforcement
“We Donate a Dog Bowl to a Dog Rescue for Every Dog Bowl Sold”
- 32 oz bowl – 9 oz – 64 oz bowl – 16 oz – 96 oz bowl – 1.2 lbs.
- High quality thick stainless steel thicker and heavier than other bowls
- A full rubber bottom to make it tough for dogs to flip over
“We Donate One For One To Dog Rescues For Every Product Sold”
- Protects the Paws
- Relieves and Soothes Cracked Noses and Dry Paws
- INGREDIENTS: Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Calendula Oil, Vitamin E
“We Donate a Bottle to a Dog Rescue for Every Bottle Sold”
- 100% NATURAL AND VET RECOMMENDED
- Hypoallergenic and free of detergents, non-toxic
- Refreshing lemongrass scent
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Organic Saponified Coconut, Olive and Jojoba Oils, Rosemary Essential Oil, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Rosemary Extract, Organic Aloe Vera
“We Donate a Cover to a Dog Rescue for Every Cover Sold”
- SIZES: Large 54″ Wide and 60″ Long – Extra Large 60″ Wide and 63″ Long
- 100% WATERPROOF
- Stronger plastic clasps with thick 1.5″ webbing to secure the cover
- Double stitched front seam to strengthen the front
“We Donate a Toy to a Dog Rescue for Every Toy Sold”
“We Donate a Harness to a Dog Rescue for Every Harness Sold “
- High quality, reflective, neoprene padded
- 4 adjustment points, two at the front around the neckline and two at the back for its chest
- Shines at night when illuminated by light
- Only FDA Compliant Pet Sunscreen
- Protects from Sun
- Skin and coat conditioner
- Aroma Therapy
- Non-greasy and non-oily Solution
- Reflective Stripes
- High grade Polyester Oxford & Nylon Fabric, Mesh Fabric, Pearl Cotton Foam
- Adjustable Belt for All Size Dogs
- Front float assists in keeping dog’s head above water
- the best all-in-one GPS location and activity tracker for dogs and cats
- Nationwide Location Tracking
- Affordable Subscription Plans: start as low as $6.95/mo
- Receive Alerts: Get text, app or email notifications when your pet leaves their safe place
- Durable and Waterproof